With the wrapping of another comes time to make some final tax donations. As I did last year, I’ll discuss briefly the organizations I donated to here at the close of year to wrap things up.
1. Wikimedia Foundation. As with last year and as it has been for the past several years, Wikimedia Foundation (which runs Wikipedia) remains my favorite charity. Wikipedia is a non-profit project and is an indispensable part of my day, everyday. I use it daily to look up all kinds of obscure info and I for one can’t imagine life without it. Easy choice for my charitable donation.
2. UH Foundation. UH is both my alma mater as well as my livelihood. I make it a practice to donate to support my undergrad program (School of Comm) each December to commemorate my anniversary of graduating with my undergraduate degree. Coincidentally, 2009 marks the 10th anniversary of my graduating with my Bachelors degree.
3. Ke Ali’i Pauahi Foundation: Kamehameha Schools is my other alma mater and I make it a practice to donate each December in honor of Founder’s Day (Bernice Pauahi Bishop’s birthday).
4. Environmental Defense Fund. Saving our planet and building a sustainable society is important to me. No earth, no life. Each year I donate to a charitable organization dedicated to conservation. Last year I went with the WWF and Nature Conservancy. This year I wanted to donate to other organizations (nothing against the WWF or Nature Conservancy). I did some brief homework via Charity Navigator and the American Institute of Philanthropy for recommendations of great organizations to donate to (do all your research needs at these sites!) dedicated to conservation and my pick is the Environmental Defense Fund. Based on the scope of their work and the way they go about it, this organization is inline with my own beliefs of what is important in conservation and the best way to go about achieving it. This is clearly the organization for me.
5. Kanu Hawai’i. Finally, I wanted to donate to something close to home and the much lauded Kanu Hawaii is the organization that received my dollar. Local in focus, heart, soul and mission and founded by locals close to age with me Kanu Hawai’i is an organization I proudly endorse and consider myself a member of the Kanu ‘ohana.
Happy New Year!